CompTIA 220-601 Exam - TopITexams.com
Free 220-601 Sample Questions:
1. Which of the following is the MOST important quality of a technician as it relates to customer service?
A. Ability to listen and communicate effectively with the user
B. Ability to quickly fix any technical problem and correctly document the solution
C. Ability to solve any technical problem
D. Ability to maintain complete and concise logs
2. A technician has installed a new video card and the computer will now only boot into VGA mode.
Which of the following may be the cause of the problem?
A. There is an operating system incompatibility.
B. The incorrect drivers are installed.
C. The external monitor is not compatible.
D. The new card is not DVI compatible.
3. After installing a new cable modem and new router, which of the following should be the order used to
start up the devices?
A. Turn on the cable modem, then the router, and then the computer.
B. Turn on the cable modem, then the computer, and then the router.
C. Turn on the router, then the computer, and then the cable modem.
D. Turn on the computer, then the cable modem, and then the router.
4. IEEE 1284 is a standard for:
A. infrared communication.
B. wireless networks.
C. wired networks.
D. parallel communication.
5. Which of the following is the fastest method to transfer data wirelessly?
B. Standard infrared
C. General Packet Radio System (GPRS)
6. Windows XP is being installed from a CD onto a computer that has no operating system. Which of the
following installation methods would MOST likely be used?
7. NTFS should be used for Windows XP rather than FAT32 because NTFS: (Select TWO).
A. allows for faster hard drive access.
B. ensured that all users networked to a computer can read files.
C. gives a user more useable hard drive space.
D. allows Windows XP to use all available security features.
E. ensures full compatibility with new software.
8. Which of the following assigns IP addresses to computers on a network? (Select TWO).
A. Exchange Server
B. Residential Router
C. DHCP Server
D. PC assigns its own
9. The amount of power output from a power supply is rated in:
C. ampere hours.
10. In Windows XP, which of the following steps would be taken to set the permissions for a user to print
within a specific time frame?
A. Printers and Faxes > right click the printer > Properties > Printer Settings > select the time
B. Printers and Faxes > right click the printer > Properties > Security tab > Time
C. Printers and Faxes > right click the printer > Properties > Advanced tab > select the time
D. Printers and Faxes > right click the printer > Properties > General tab > Time
11. Which of the following types of fire extinguishers would be MOST appropriate to use on a fire in a
A. Class A
B. Class B
C. Class C
D. Class D
12. Which of the following is the BEST way to remove a USB device on a laptop computer?
A. Remove hardware in Control Panel.
B. Stop the device, and then remove from laptop.
C. Turn off the laptop, and then turn off the device.
D. Remove the driver from Device Manager.
13. A coworker
in the shop is being electrocuted while working on an improperly grounded CPU case.
Which of the following is the BEST action to take?
A. Start CPR immediately.
B. Kick the computer case away from the worker.
C. Immediately turn off the power at the circuit breaker.
D. Use a wooden broom to separate the coworker
from the CPU case.
14. If a technician is cleaning a mouse with rubbing alcohol from a spray bottle, which of the following
should be worn?
B. An antistatic
C. Safety clothing
D. Safety glasses
15. Which of the following memory modules has 72 pins? (Select TWO).
16. Which of the following memory modules has the HIGHEST transfer rate?
17. Which of the following is a characteristic of solid state drives?
B. Larger capacity than traditional magnetic drives
C. Lack of drive heads and platters
D. Higher data integrity
18. Users are reporting that print jobs being sent to a shared printer are not printing. A technician has
verified the printer is online and prints a configuration page from the printer. Which of the following is the
MOST likely cause of the issue? (Select TWO).
A. QoS for printing is not functioning over the LAN.
B. The printer needs to have a cartridge replaced.
C. A job in error status is at the top of the print queue.
D. The printers IP address has changed.
E. New drivers have been released and need to be installed.
19. The Windows Experience Index is used to determine:
A. remaining hard disk storage space.
B. a performance value of system components.
C. the speed and available bandwidth of Internet connections.
D. the reliability and speed of search indexing.
20. A users documents are now printing to a newly installed printer instead of to the printer they regularly
use. Which of the following is MOST likely the cause?
A. The old printer is out of paper.
B. The new printer drivers wrote over the old drivers.
C. The new printer was automatically set as the default printer.
D. The new printer has a lower IP address number than the older printer.
21. Which of the following audio/video devices have the ability to decode NTSC/PAL signals from an
A. TV tuner card
B. Graphics card
C. Video capture card
D. Sound card
22. Which of the following types of media is considered solid state?
A. Tape drive
B. Floppy disk
D. Flash media
23. When installing the heatsink back into a computer after replacing a failed processor, which of the
following must be done during installation?
A. Thermal compound must be installed between the processor and the heatsink.
B. An isopropyl alcohol pad must be placed between the processor and the heatsink.
C. An isopropyl alcohol pad must be placed between the processor and the system board.
D. Thermal compound must be installed between the processor and the system board.
24. Which of the following is used to control access to a network based on the address hard coded into
B. MAC filtering
C. Channel 11
25. A client needs a laser printer cleaned. Which of the following tools would be appropriate to clean the
inside of a laser printer?
A. Office vacuum
B. Toner vacuum
C. Damp cloth
D. Air compressor
26. Which of the following is the system bus speed of a PC2700 memory?
27. Which of the following is the BitLocker utility used for?
A. Storing passwords
B. Blocking harmful network traffic
C. Securing wireless access points
D. Encrypting hard drives
28. Which of the following components should be in contact with thermal compound? (Select TWO).
29. A user states that their five year old system is shutting down randomly. A technician verifies that the
heat sink is properly seated and all fans are operating. Which of the following would MOST likely be
causing this issue?
A. Modem driver conflict
B. Dried thermal compound
C. Malfunctioning optical drive
D. The latest service pack is not installed
30. A technician notices that there is a second partition on the primary hard drive. This partition is not
assigned a drive letter and is not accessible from Windows. Which of the following is the MOST likely
explanation for this extra partition?
A. Space reserved by the drive manufacturer for firmware.
B. Space set aside by Windows for use by the virtual memory swap file.
C. A potentially dangerous virus has been downloaded onto the system.
D. A recovery partition put there by the manufacturer.